Search This Blog

Monday, December 26, 2011

Beauty Besties of *2011*: Part 1 FACE

I can't believe that this is the end of 2011, and it is soon to be 2012! Where do the years go?! This year went really fast for me, but overall it was a good one.


This is Part 1 of my "Beauty Besties of 2011" series, where I show you guys the top products of 2011, in my opinion. I'm breaking everything down in categories, and I'm starting with FACE products (foundations, powders, concealers). 


BEST FULL COVERAGE FOUNDATION:
Revlon Colorstay- This stuff is definitely FULL COVERAGE, and it covers EVERYTHING from acne, to dark spots, hyperpigmentation, scars, red blotches, you name it.  I've tried the Studio Fix Fluid by MAC, and in my opinion, this covers more with less product.  You don't need a lot of this stuff to get full coverage, but with the SFF, you do need to build a few more layers to get the same coverage that you get this the Revlon Colorstay with just 1 or 2 layers.  The good thing about this too is that there are 2 versions available, 1 for combo/oily & 1 for combo/dry skin. 


BEST MEDIUM COVERAGE FOUNDATION:
MAC MatchMaster- This stuff literally does transform to be the perfect color for your skintone (atleast it does for me).  5.0 is the perfect shade for me.  This foundation is supposed to adjust to be your perfect shade, with a demi-matte finish.  This is definitely true medium coverage.  It's not sheer or light, and it's not full coverage either.  This isn't heavy on the skin, which is good, and it does a decent job of covering imperfections.  If you want a demi-matte finish, that looks natural and gives nice, medium coverage (not too much/not too less), this is perfect.  It blends in well.  No annoying foundation lines.  I'd recommend this for normal to dry skin.

BEST LIGHT/SHEER COVERAGE FOUNDATION:
MAKE UP FOREVR Face & Body- This is a fantastic foundation and one of my GO-TO HG foundations.  This completely trumps the MAC version.  They are both sheer, but the MAC is more runny and liquidy.  The MUFE version is more of a gel-like texture.  This blends out really well.  One of the complaints of this foundation is how light of a coverage it is, but that's what I like about it.  I don't usually like a lot of coverage on a daily basis.  I like a natural look, and this is perfect for that.  I would consider this buildable, because with 2 layers it gives decent coverage.  If you set this with a powder, it gives even more coverage.  I usually just go with 1-2 layers of this, and I don't usually set it.  When I do set this, I use MAC's Magically Cool Liquid Powder in Cajun or the Studio Careblend, which has excellent coverage on it's own.  This is very naturally looking, like real skin but only better (more polished & even skintone).  This is also lightweight.  I can't feel this on the skin at all.  This is waterproof too, which is a huge plus, especially in the Summer (& gym friendly!).  I recommend this for ALL skin types. 

MOST NATURALLY LOOKING BASE:
Benefit You Rebel Tinted Moisturizer- I LOVE this stuff for Wintertime.  This looks so natural on the skin.  This is definitely sheer/light coverage, but if you set it with a powder (my FAVs are the MAC Magically Cool Liquid & the Studio Careblend), you get nice, natural coverage for natural yet polished skin.  My skin is dry in the Winter, and this doesn't cake up on my dry areas around my nose, which is a huge plus.  It has aloe in it, which is soothing for the skin, and it's moisturizing without being greasy.  Oily skin may find it a bit too moisturizing though.  In the Summer, my skin was oily, and this was just too much moisture for me.  In the Winter, it's perfect.  Oily skin might find it greasy looking, but I highly recommend for normal/dry skin types.  As I mentioned, this is very sheer coverage, but it evens out skin tone quite well.  With the setting powder, you get really nice natural coverage, which looks like your skin only better.  This is great for foundation beginners, young girls,  or people who don't like to wear foundation, but want light coverage. I'm NC40 in MAC (NC42 in Summer), and the original shade in this is perfect for my skintone and up.  If you're any lighter than me, you need to go with the You Rebel Lite, as this will be MUCH too dark for you. 

BEST POWDER:
MAC Studio Careblend Pressed Powder- This powder has the BEST coverage of any powder that I've ever used.  Even by itself, it covers really well.  Sometimes I just use this alone or over concealer for great added coverage.  I like the pressed formula- less mess & travel friendly for touch ups.  I always keep this in my purse. This is the only item that I've EVER hit pan with, and I would definitely repurchase. This has a natural finish, so if you want a mattifying powder, this isn't for you.  If you want a setting powder that delivers good coverage, without being cakey or powdery, you will love this.  I'm not usually big on powders, because they look too powdery or cakey.  This glides on my dry skin like I dream.  I used this in the end of Summer when my skin was still on the oily side, and I liked it then as well.  Great for all skin types.  *If you use the puff that it comes with, you get more coverage.  It you use a fluffy brush, this works as a nice, light setting powder.*

BEST CONCEALER:
MARK Speedway Do Everything Stick- Best Concealer hands down!  This little .14oz stick looks small, but a little goes a long way!  This will last a long time.  I've had mine for 8 months, and there is still plenty of product left.  I primarily use this a concealer, but it's marketed as an all purpose makeup stick.  It can be used as a foundation or concealer.  I've used it as both.  If you use this as a foundation, you may definitely go through it faster than if you just use it as a concealer.  This covers really well.  It covers everything- blemishes, red splotchy areas, dark circles, dark discolorations.  The little tube is perfect to throw in the smallest bag or even your pocket.  This is creamy but dries down perfectly.  At $8 bucks a pop, you can't beat the price.  Recommend for all skin types!


No comments:

Post a Comment