Search This Blog

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Spring 2011 Trend: Orange Lips!



             When I saw the picture above of the girl with the super bold, glossy orange lips, I knew I had to run out and buy an orange lipstick!!  The color is so fun and screams SPRING!!  I saw this picture on Sephora's website, where I frequent daily.  (I even have the Sephora app on my iPhone 4!).  I immediately called Sephora and asked them what the model had on.  She is wearing Make Up Forever's Artist Intense Rouge Lipstick in #40, described as a "satin, bright orange" with Make Up Forever's Lab Shine Diamond Lip Gloss in D20 a "shimmering tangerine".  I wanted the exact products that the model used, because they looked so perfect on her.  However, I could not stomach dishing out $19 for a lipstick and $18 for a lip gloss!  I may spend a little more on my foundations and blushes, but I am pretty thrifty when it comes to lip products.  The most I've spent was $14.50 for a MAC lipstick, and most of mine are Viva Glam lipsticks and lipglasses that go to a good cause.  (I have no problem spending a little extra for charity.)  The beauty consultant that I spoke to at Sephora told me that I could achieve a similar look with the Sephora Collection Cream Rouge Lipstick in It Girl 06 (muted coral tangerine) for $12 and the Tokidoki Prisma Lipgloss in Burger for $15.  I was all ready to order those two products and rock the glossy orange lip, but when I had to stop at Walmart today for popsicles for my daughter, I ventured over to the cosmetics aisle.  I ended up with two orange toned lipsticks that didn't break the bank.  I wasn't sure which one would give me the desired color or finish that I wanted, and those were the only two that I could find.  I was unable to find an orange gloss that caught my eye.  The lipsticks that I picked up were Revlon's Super Lustrous Lipstick in Siren and Covergirl's new Lip Perfection lipstick in Temptation (both $5.94 a pop at Walmart).  (Yep! I scored 2 orange lipsticks for less than the price of one at Sephora!! Go me!!).  I tried out Revlon's Siren first, and I really love the consistency and the finish.  It's very pigmented and creamy, which is perfect for my dry lips.  It has a smooth, matte finish, without being drying.  The formula is nice and moisturizing and did not dry my lips out or flake.  (I have a problem with MAC lipsticks drying my lips out.)  Siren doesn't go on as bold or orange as the Make Up Forever lip colors look on the Sephora model's lips, but it definitely is orange and very wearable.  This is something that I can see anyone (fair and very dark skinned ladies) being able to pull off for everyday use.  Covergirl's Temptation isn't quite as pigmented as Revlon's Siren and the finish is different.  It's a frosty finish with shimmer through it.  (The shimmer is more visible when swatched on my hand than on the lips though.)  This goes on quite sheer when you first apply it, but the color can be built up as much as you want it to be.  It's a different shade of orange than Siren.  I'm glad I bought both of them, because I can create two different looks with these colors.  They are not identical by any means.  CG's Temptation is a really pretty orange that looks quite tropical.  It reminds me of a Summer day at the beach.  It's a nice change from the classic red or pink, and it looks quite natural on the lips.  Both of these lip colors get an A+ in my book.  The price is right, and if you want to try the orange lip trend without breaking the bank, I'd definitely recommend trying these.  Both of these colors can work for day or night, and neither of them are too bold that you can't wear them for everyday use.  Check those colors out at your local Walmart or drugstore! Happy Shopping! Let's get ready for Spring! :)


Orange Lips shown on the Catwalk with a bare, fresh face.

I'd recommend keeping all other makeup very minimal if you're going to rock a bold lip of any color.  The last thing you want to look is clownish.  Keep your face makeup simple by just using foundation or tinted moisturizer to even out skintone. If you must wear blush, choose a very light, soft peach shade or swipe on a light dusting of your favorite bronzer.  Keep your eye makeup nude and simple with nude or a pale pastel shadow and black mascara to make your eyes pop.  


Me Rocking Covergirl Lip Perfection Lipstick in Temptation.
  I applied about three swipes of it to get the color above.  The pigmentation is not a bad thing.  This can be used for both a soft or bold look, depending on how much you layer it.



 Me Wearing Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Siren 
  I love how pigmented this color is.  This picture does it no justice.  It is more orange in person but very wearable.


Covergirl Temptation & Revlon Siren

No comments:

Post a Comment