Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Review: Make Up Forever HD Foundation


I decided to try the Make Up Forever HD Foundation on whim.  This foundation was recommended to me by Sephora Beauty Consultants many times when I inquired about a new foundation.  I had read mixed reviews on this. I knew that it was a fuller coverage foundation, and I tend to stick with sheerer coverage foundations or tinted moisturizers.  I was a bit disappointed with the NARS Sheer Glow that was recommended to me as well. Don't get me wrong, it was nice.  It just wasn't extraordinary to me and certainly not worth the pricetag.  I decided to just get color matched for this and get a sample when I was at Sephora one day (I don't get over there often.  The closest Sephora stores are bout about an hour away.)  I was matched to 150 and given a pretty generous sample.  I was able to get about 4 days use of it, and there is still some left over.   I fell in love with the coverage and the feel of this foundation.  To me, it was everything it was hyped up to me and more.  It blended like a dream.  It didn't cake up on my forehead (like the NARS Sheer Glow did).  It didn't make me look oily either. It feels so light on the skin, yet it covers so well. The only problem that I found was the color.  It looked okay in person, but in photographs, I had a white cast on my face and looked a bit ashy.  I felt that the undertone wasn't right either.   When I went back to Sephora with my 15% Beauty Insider coupon, I asked to be matched again.  This time, the woman tried 153 and 170 on me.  She tried both of this along my jawline. 170 was visibly too dark, and didn't blend in to match quite right.  153 was a pretty great match, and I ended up purchasing it with the 15% off (huge plus! yay! for discounts!) The shade is called Golden Honey and for Medium Skin with Olive Undertones.  (150 is called Pink Beige and is for medium skin with dark beige undertones.)

My Thoughts:
My skin looks flawless, yet natural with this on.  It photographs really well too.  I had a blemish, and it was literally invisible when I was photographed with this on.  I am never one to look for a full coverage foundation, just because I imagined that they would feel heavy and look cakey.  This definitely does not.  My skin is sensitive, and this doesn't irritate it, which is a huge plus in my book as well.  I also find that this wear quite well, for me.  I don't use a primer with any foundation.  I found this to last all day.  (Everyone's skin is different though.  There are several primers out there that are high rated, including one by Make Up Forever.)  I also love the packaging of this.  It has a pump, just like with the Make Up Forever HD Blushes. Very hygienic & keeps things from getting messy!  The only downside, in my book, is the pricetag.  This retails for $40 (Sephora), and you get 1.01 oz of product.  I plan to use this for days when I want extra coverage and a flawless, yet still natural look, as well as for special occasions.  This would get quite expensive if I used it everytday, but it's well worth it.  Excellent product- Excellent Quality.  There are 25 shades, ranging from very pale to very deep, with a wide variety of undertones.  That's a major plus for accommodating a wide variety of skintones.  I hate when companies only have a few shades to choose from.  

   


Overall/Conclusions: 
This really does give your skin a flawless finish in real life and in photographs, while still looking natural.  The pump is great. There are 25 shades to choose from with numerous undertones to suit a wide variety of customers.  There's an excellent selection of shades for women of color.  This did not irritate my skin, unlike some other face products that I've used, which is a huge plus in my book.  If you have sensitive skin, this is worth a shot.  If you want flawless coverage that looks natural & doesn't look cakey or feel heavy, this is for you! If you have trouble finding a perfect shade, you have a good chance of finding your perfect shade with this foundation.  This is great if you take a lot of flash photography as well.  I highly recommend checking this out.  Get a sample at your local Sephora and try this out for a few days to see if it's suitable for you.  (If you don't have a Sephora near you, you can always order it online and try it out. The return policy at Sephora is really great.)


Price: $40 
Size: 1.01 oz
Availability: Exclusive at Sephora & Make Up Forever Boutiques 


*So far, I've tried the Make Up Forever HD Foundation and the Make Up Forever HD Blushes. (I have the blush in #14, which is love.  I purchased and returned #12, because the color was a bit too strong for me. I also have a generous sample of #3.)  I'm impressed with the quality of both of these products, and I would love to try more products from Make Up Forever.  They are giving MAC a run for their money in my book.  I wouldn't mind trying out the Make Up Forever Face & Body for summer.  I have MAC's Face & Body, and I'm not 100% happy with their shades options.  Make Up Forever has a wide variety of shades to choose from.*

No comments:

Post a Comment